Initially built as a fortress in the 13th century, Château Coutet still bears the stamp of its medieval origins. However, its history as a winemaking estate began in 1643 when Charles Le Guérin, known as Lord of Coutet, made it one of the first vineyards in the Sauternes appellation.
The quality of its wines was recognized, and in 1787, Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States of America, a true gourmet, wine merchant, and writer of travel diaries about the great French wine-producing regions, acknowledged Château Coutet as “the best Sauternes in Barsac.”
In 1977, Marcel Baly and two of his sons, Philippe and Dominique, became the new owners of Château Coutet. With zeal and determination, they set about the task of renewing the vineyard and winery buildings. About two decades later, the two brothers concluded an agreement with Baron Philippe de Rothschild SA. The winemaking team is now advised by the technical staff from Château Mouton Rothschild.
Château Coutet 2014 was ranked third in the Top 100 World Wines published by Wine Spectator, an achievement that spurred the estate’s team to even greater things.