Vale Barqueiros Family Winery
The history of Herdade de Vale Barqueiros dates back to the 14th century and has its origins strongly linked to the Order of St. Benedict of Aviz, founded by the Order of the Knights Templars. At that time the Silk Castle, currently a village in the Alto Alentejo, was constantly under threat of attack as it represented an important landmark of our country and a symbol of independence. Due to this situation, the Order of S. Bento de Aviz ordered that a military reserve be made next to the Silk Castle so that in case of emergency they could rescue the fortification as soon as possible.
It was then that the military reserve of Vale Barqueiros appeared. It was given this name because to make the passage of the military to the castle it was necessary to cross the Ribeira de Seda and for that there were the boatmen who were individuals with small boats that transported the military to both shores. Later in the nineteenth century, in 1836, all military and religious orders were extinct in Portugal and the military reserve of Vale Barqueiros was nationalized. Then in 1853, a nobleman of Silk named Joaquim Barradas bought the property from the state and it was renamed Herdade de Vale Barqueiros.
For more than a century it belonged to this family until in 1986 it was bought by Comendador Vasco Faria who transformed it into the paradisiacal place it is today. With a strong connection to the agricultural area, more specifically to viticulture, the current owner and his family put all their knowledge in the development of the vineyard and wine and later in an extensive olive grove, cork oak and stone pines among the more than 800ha that constitute the property.