The first known references to Quinta do Crasto can be traced back to 1615, long before the Douro Valley became the world’s first demarcated wine region in 1756. The property is a historic one and is recorded as having been awarded “feitoria” status (the highest vineyard classification of the time) in 1761. The original demarcation was marked with a series of granite markers. One of these markers, called “marco pombalino”, dating back to 1758, is still visible at the Quinta.
In the early 1900s, Quinta do Crasto was purchased by Constantino de Almeida, founder of the famous Constantino Port house. Following his death in 1923, his son, Fernando de Almeida, continued to run the Quinta, producing stellar Port wines.
In 1981, Fernando de Almeida’s daughter, Leonor Roquette, and her husband, Jorge Roquette, assumed majority ownership and management of the estate. With the help of their sons, Miguel and Tomás, they began the process of remodelling and expanding the vineyards and facilities to enable the production of top quality Port and Douro wines. Quinta do Crasto has now reclaimed its rightful status as one of the great family estates of the Douro region.