Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo is a place of extreme beauty, in the heart of the Douro, and has been owned by the Amorim family since 1999.
The family’s connection to wine comes from far away, through its connection to the exporting houses in Vila Nova de Gaia, through the cork business, but on that date this connection resulted in the fulfilment of a dream and the project is now in the hands of the 4th generation of the family.
With a history of more than 250 years, the farm exhibits a preserved moth and the original 1764 winery building, after interventions by the architect Arnaldo Barbosa. But the farm is much earlier than 1764 and history confirms it as a great land belonging to the Portuguese Royal House, having been identified its first owner in 1725.
The winery vinified over 3,500 barrels of wine from neighbouring plots and farms, and was soon “integrated into the first demarcation of the region”. The historical sites that are still preserved today give us all this historical weight.
The entrepreneurial and visionary spirit of the family has made a difference in the meantime, since, together with a passionate bet on the future, they have determined the beginning of multiple changes for a path of enological excellence.